Important Information Regarding COVID-19
* * * SPECIAL NOTICE TO OUR VALUED PATIENTS UPDATED JUNE 2020 * * *
WE ARE EXCITED TO SEEING PATIENTS AGAIN!! GIVEN THE ONGOING COVID-19 CONCERNS, WE HAVE IMPLEMENTED A DETAILED SAFETY PLAN (see following) IN ORDER TO KEEP OUR PATIENTS AND STAFF AS SAFE AS POSSIBLE.
Thank you for your cooperation during this challenging time.
Dr. Fred Warren and Dr. Karin Chima
WARREN & CHIMA ORTHODONTICS Health and Safety Plan
Pre-screening of all patients is done:
- 1st – via Tele dentistry, phone call or Email (if these are not available will be done downstairs in the lobby)
- 2nd – done during confirmation of the appointment (1-3 days prior to appointment)
- 3rd – upon check-in at the downstairs lobby and includes non-contact temperature taken on all patients and escorts. (Patients are notified not to bring any escorts unless there is a minor patient, translator required, or elderly patient who requires assistance). In these cases, only one adult is allowed.
Covid 19-risk factors and symptoms are discussed; see below Questionnaire
- Have you, your child, or others accompanying you to today’s appointment or other recent acquaintances tested positive for or been diagnosed as having COVID-19 or any other communicable disease?
- Do you, your child, or others accompanying you to today’s appointment or other recent acquaintances/family member have or have had in the last 2 weeks:
- A fever? (defined as above 99.8 degrees)
- A cough?
- Shortness of Breath and/or Trouble Breathing?
- Persistent Pain, Pressure or Tightness in the Chest?
NO PROCEDURES OR APPOINTMENTS ARE PROVIDED ON PATIENTS WITH COVID-19 SYMPTOMS OR RISK FACTORS. IF A PATIENT SHOWS ANY SIGNS/SYMPTOMS OF ILLNESS THEY ARE REFERRED TO THEIR PRIMARY PHYSICIAN IMMEDIATELY
Special considerations, we will treat as first patient of the day elderly, immune compromised patients and make every possible effort to protect and prevent exposing medically compromised patients.
Screening questionnaire and informed consent regarding that exposure to Covid-19 is a possibility needs to be signed.
- No one shall enter the building if they are experiencing any of the described symptoms for Covid-19.
- Everyone (staff, patient’s and parents) will wear a mask while in the building.
- Social distancing (6 feet) will be implemented at all times. Please wait outside if necessary and patients will be seen in every other chair to maintain proper social distancing.
- Employees will be screened each day upon entering the building and before being seen for their appointment. This form will need to be signed as well and the informed consent form.
- Patients and parents will enter the building and wait in the lobby downstairs to be screened and then escorted upstairs.
- Parents will wait downstairs or in the car during the appointment. Parents are not allowed in the operatory to reduce potential exposure.
- No food or beverages will be allowed in the building.
- Patient will be screened in the lobby and non-contact temperature will be taken.
- Patient screening form and informed consent forms will be signed.
- If any paperwork/payments/signatures required, we disinfect any used item or exposed surface immediately after each use.
- Patients will be escorted to their treatment area immediately after screening with no contact of any surfaces
- If for any reason this is not possible, 6 foot social distancing protocol will be observed
- Bathrooms are disinfected on a regular basis
- Patients scheduling time is staggered to avoid any overlapping of checking in
- Please arrive for you appointment ten minutes early
- Social distancing should be adhered to at all times
- Appointment times are scheduled at longer interval to maintain social distancing
- We will be using every other chair in the office to maintain social distancing
- Please understand that appointment availability will be limited for the time being due to social distancing
- Additional patient time will be scheduled but please understand times and availability will not be the same as previously.
- Certain types of procedures will have to be scheduled at certain times during the day to minimize exposure
- The doctors will be working in shifts to minimize the number of staff in the office at the same time.
PATIENT PROTOCOLS DURING VISIT
- Patient will wear a mask while in the building.
- Patient and parents will wait downstairs until called upstairs to be seen.
- Patients are to thoroughly brush their teeth before coming to their appointment so we can avoid brushing in the office.
- All extraneous supplies have been removed from the reception area.
- Reception area has easily accessible hand sanitizer and tissue with disposing receptacle.
- Patient will be asked to use a rinse with at least 1% hydrogen peroxide rinse prior to being seen for their appointment.
- Patient will use a hand sanitizer before sitting down for their appointment.
- When the appointment is finished, we can either record or video a message for the parent regarding the appointment and how to proceed.
- Please call the office to schedule the next appointment.
- All surfaces touched by patients are completely wiped down and sanitized after each appointment.
- Please accompany patient to the downstairs lobby for screening and informed consent.
- At this time, please let us know any concerns you have and have your phone available so we can contact you when the appointment is completed and with further instructions.
- The patient should have a phone so we can Facetime with you about the appointment if necessary.
- To maximize social distancing, parents will need to wait downstairs or in the car.
- Please call the office to schedule the next appointment so as to minimize exposure for everyone involved.
- Please abide by any requests the staff may have regarding social distancing and safety protocol
PROTOCOLS DURING TREATMENT
- All doctors and staff have been screened prior to the start of their shift
- All doctors and staff will wear the appropriate PPE required for the appointment and all have been trained in the management of PPE
- Protective gown, mask, face shield or eye protection, gloves (hand washing/hand sanitizer prior to donning)
- All necessary OSHA/CDC/ADA/SFDOH guidelines will be adhered to
- During any aerosolizing procedure we use an additional evacuation procedures
- These type of procedures will be scheduled at specific times of the day to minimize exposure
- Patient is to bring phone to appointment so a Facetime/Zoom can be done to give post appointment instructions
- Instructions are given to patient/escort to report any signs or symptoms of Covid-19 to our office within the next 14 days.
- Doffing and appropriate disinfection, disposal and storage is done.
- The treatment area is disinfected properly before the next patient is seen.
ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF PROTOCOLS
- All administrative staff are screened prior to their shift
- Temperature and Covid-19 symptom screening is taken and documented
- All staff will wear masks while in the office
- Barrier shields have been placed in appropriate areas
- Personal headsets and personal phones to be used to avoid cross contamination
- Proper disposal of personal PPE products at the end of the day
- Reusable products sanitized in the office and provided clean daily
- All exposed surfaces in office wiped down after every patient interaction, continually during the day and after the shift
- Assistants arrive to work in their personal clothing and change into clean scrubs and PPE prior to patient interaction
- All staff members will be screened before work and after lunch for any symptoms Temperature and Covid-19 symptoms
- Any staff member that exhibits symptoms will be sent home to quarantine and will schedule an appointment to be tested.
- Staff will wear the appropriate personal protective equipment during patient care.
- Masks will be worn at all times while in the office.
- Social distancing will be observed at all times when possible.
- All staff has been given the necessary PPE.
- All staff has been trained in proper disinfecting off all surface, handling of all instruments and equipment
- All staff have been instructed of how to properly disinfect PPE (Donning/Doffing protocol sheet).
We have an adequate supply of PPE for our staff at this time and will try to ensure there is an ample supply for any second wave/resurgence of Covid-19. If an adequate supply cannot be procured, it may be necessary to close again in the future.